How can I tell when it is time to dispose of my stroker?

Hello there. I have recently been experimenting and playing with masturbation strokers. I have a Tenga Spiral, a couple of Hedy eggs, a Tenga egg, and a couple others. The eggs, are advertised as single use, or limited (1-5) uses. I am quite diligent about cleaning them after each use, and then making sure they are dry. I do have a couple of questions:

1. Do they become “unsafe” after so many uses? Or, do they simply start showing signs of wear and tear? I’m not trying to be cheap, but I don’t want to dispose of them before their time.
  2. What happens to a toy if I use the wrong lube? Does one time ruin it forever? Or does is simply accelerate the deterioration process?
  3. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night for a session. I feel compelled to immediately clean my stroker when I finish. Is this important? Or, can I wait until morning?

Thank you. I am enjoying learning more about masturbation toys.

Glad you’re enjoying trying out some different types of masturbation toys! Happy to answer your questions, figured easiest just to drop each answer down below for ya:

1. Do they become “unsafe” after so many uses? Or, do they simply start showing signs of wear and tear? I’m not trying to be cheap, but I don’t want to dispose of them before their time.

It can be bit of both in some cases, but mostly wear and tear. Most masturbation sleeves are made of thermoplastic elastomer, which is why they feel so squishy and soft, but they are super porous. So over time, fluids (lube, semen) and wear and tear from use will break down the material. Basically if the material is discolored, has changed a lot in texture, or has an odor, it’s time to toss and get a new one. This kind of material can really hold onto dirt and bacteria, and if not cleaned well can have mold growth, especially if not cleaned and dried properly, so it’s best to keep an eye on your toys and if anything looks/feels/smells off, don’t chance it. It’s not worth possibly getting an infection.

1. What happens to a toy if I use the wrong lube? Does one time ruin it forever? Or does is simply accelerate the deterioration process?

If you use the wrong lube on any sex toy, it’s going to break down the material of that toy. There isn’t a great way to know how badly using lube you shouldn’t on a toy has affected it. Once again, your senses are going to be your best friend. If it feels/smells/looks off, it’s probably off. I stick to water based lubes, just to be safe. Sliquid Sassy I really like, because it’s water based but formulated for anal so I feel it lasts longer.

1. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night for a session. I feel compelled to immediately clean my stroker when I finish. Is this important? Or, can I wait until morning?

You have the right idea! It’s best to clean toys, especially ones made of more flexible material, right away so no bacteria gets in there. If you don’t want to get up and fully clean them, a foam toy cleaner and a quick wipe down until the morning when you can give them a full clean will do. A rinse with warm soapy water, something antibacterial, and then let it air dry will do just fine as well.

This is mostly what I figured, and it is nice to have the confirmation. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Thank you.

1 Like