Quarantined w lover and gonorrhea

So around the fifth day of quarantining w my partner in NYC I get a call from my doctors office that my test results from the previous week came back positive for gonorrhea. This would obviously not be a big deal except for the fact that non-emergency doctors offices are all closed now including NYCs free clinics. We’ve had unprotected sex while I was waiting for the results so it is very likely both us have it. I’m insured and my partner does not have health insurance and it feels wrong for one of us to receive treatment but not the other. I’m also completely broke as many of us are right now and a 75$ co-pay is a lot for me at the moment. Anybody have any experience with free testing in NYC? This wouldn’t be a big deal if we weren’t in a global health pandemic but I need to figure out a plan for the next 2-3 weeks until clinics re open. Do we just keep on having sex? Does anybody have any ideas or resources for me? Also wondering about my sex toys and how to treat them for STI’s as well. Sending love in these crazy times

1 Like

It, unfortunately, looks like all the NYC clinics for STI testing and treatment are currently closed:

Sexual Health Clinics Closed

Due to the outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), all NYC Sexual Health Clinics are closed for nonemergency walk-in services until further notice.

As of March 23 and until further notice, Chelsea Sexual Health Clinic (303 Ninth Avenue) is the only location providing services. All other Sexual Health Clinics are closed.

Chelsea Sexual Health Clinic will see patients who:

• Were contacted by clinic staff for urgent follow-up
  • Need HIV post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP)
  • Need emergency contraception (Plan B)

If you need a provider for other services, call 311 .

It is likely that you’ve already exposed your partner. However, if they are not showing any symptoms it would be wise to start using protection. Remember that gonorrhea is a bacterial infection and can be transmitted to the eyes and mouth from touching with your hands. So condoms and dental dams are definitely your friends, but so is hand washing! Ask your partner how they feel about being exposed and decide together what feels most comfortable and accessible.

For your sex toys, I would recommend boiling everything that is silicon! And sanitizing any hard surfaces. You can use protective barriers on your toys as well for extra caution.

1 Like

I would suggest not having sex, but that’s easier said than done. I would suggest using condoms for now.

This sounds like a big obstacle to work around but think of it as an opportunity for some creative play. Mutual masterbation can be super hot. Try talking each other through it. Speak softly into their ear with explicit instructions, tell them when to start, when to stop, what they can touch what they can’t, how fast they can breathe, when to hold their breath, what to look at, when they are allowed to finish. Have fun with it. What better time to add some new skills to your sex life :wink:

1 Like