I read "My Dark Vanessa" and I need to talk about it

So just a few days ago I finished the book “My Dark Vanessa” by Kate Elizabeth Russell and I must say it has become one of my number one favorite books of all time. I’m really hoping that other people on the forum have read it as well because I would absolutely love to have an in-depth conversation about it with you! For those of you who don’t know, My Dark Vanessa is about a 15-year-old girl named Vanessa who falls into a dark romance with her 42-year-old English teacher Mr. Strane at her boarding school. The story flips through different timelines at different ages and points in her life and it is so dark and compelling and captivating and just ugghhhhh I’m reading the audiobook now because I’m low-key obsessed with it. KER is so insightful and she really spins this trope on its head and looks at it from a very in-depth perspective, one that not many authors have tackled (other than the book Lolita which she said was her inspiration for the story). I myself have not had an experience with a man of that large of an age gap, but I have had experiences with an 18-year-old when I was 12 so in a way this story still lurked in those dark corners of my mind. The way that Vanessa uses so much dissociative language when it comes to her experiences with Strane is an aspect of the story that makes it so heart-wrenching and compelling, such as when she describes herself as being “split off” from her body as well as her eyes being like “frozen lakes you can skate on.” I’m not going to discuss any spoilers for the people that have not read it but I just had to come on here and discuss it because it’s that kind of book that just lurks in your mind and soul. However, it is a pedophilic and abusive relationship so if you are someone that has been through similar trauma and do not feel able to handle such graphic material, I highly suggest that you do not read it. Take care of yourself, always. The story also discusses the “me too” movement that was occurring around that time and I feel that the way Vanessa sees it is a fresh perspective (not a right or wrong perspective, just a new and different one because of what she went through) and it makes the story that more dark and different. But please if you have read it let me know because I would love to have a talk about it!!!

1 Like

I have not heard of it, but will download it and start next week, when kids go back to school, And I’ll get back to you.

1 Like