Herpes Inquiry: HSV1 to HSV2

So my partner and I had sex this morning and he used his spit as lubrication during sexual play. He didn’t realize he had a cold sore until about two hours later and it’s in the very beginning stages of developing (he can feel it but you can’t really see it). Does herpes still spread fairly easy when it’s just developing or am I at somewhat of low risk of developing genital herpes? I’m not too worried about the stigma of herpes unlike my partner, but I plan to get tested anyway on my next Planned Parenthood Appointment.

Hey, as far as I’m aware you can’t test for herpes unless it is active- that’s how my experiences in the UK have been anyway. I have HSV1 genitally & when I was getting tested/ diagnosed the doctors told me that they don’t offer it as a standard test as it is so common & you may never show symptoms. They did say to refrain from any sexual contact the second symptoms occur so I believe in your case it’s likely the partner COULD have been contagious, however that’s just off anecdotal experience & would be best to consult a medical professional for yourself. I would say though, they did mention to me that HSV1 (the oral kind) is the “better” of the two in that outbreaks occur less frequently and for the most part are less severe/ more easily managed- you could never get an outbreak and still carry the virus! Hope this has helped.

I know this is a little late but maybe it will help you still or someone else. What I found on the abreva site: https://www.abreva.com/about-cold-sores/what-are-cold-sores/?gclid=2cd5f622b1aa17adb557a85ab15b0a9a&gclsrc=3p.ds

Where Do You Get Cold Sores?

Most people get cold sores on their lips, but it is possible to get cold sores on your nose, your eyes and your genitals too.

Are Cold Sores Contagious?

Yes, cold sores are extremely contagious. You can become infected with the virus through kissing, touching your fingers to your mouth or eyes (if your fingers have become infected with the virus from someone else, for example), and by sharing infected items. Although the virus doesn’t pass through the air, it has been shown to survive on hard surfaces.

Make sure you follow good hand-washing practices, washing with soap for at least 20 seconds and using hand sanitizer when needed. Avoiding close contact with those who have visible signs of the virus and not touching your mouth, eyes and nose are all ways you can help protect yourself against contracting the virus and passing it on to others.