Anime/Manga w/ LGBTQ+ Characters?

Anyone have recommendations for anime/manga that have LGBTQ+ characters? I’m always on the lookout for more! I’m willing to give anything a shot, although I tend to prefer stories in the realms of sci-fi/adventure/fantasy/horror. I’ve already read No. 6, Tokyo Babylon, and What Did You Eat Yesterday. I’ve watched Hunter X Hunter (Alluka is trans), which is a huge favorite. I recently tried Devilman Crybaby but I wasn’t feeling it so I gave up a few episodes in. I started watching Dorohedoro and I don’t know if I can expect any LGBTQ+ characters but I am desperately hoping for some!!

Alternatively, if you have LGBTQ+ headcanons for anime/manga characters, share them here!

2 Likes

If your interested there’s anime called Yaoi where it’s all cute gay guys falling in love. Like literally the genera is called BL (Boys Love) there’s plenty of good and erotic stories and some of it is cute af! A good one I like is I think the title is “I’m being Harassed By The Number One man I Want To Hug”. But yeah there’s tons of good BL manga and anime.

2 Likes

I’ve only seen one sex positive anime and that is Belladonna of Sadness.

I do want to watch Fruits Basket though because that was my childhood.

Question: how do you feel about the sexualization of schoolgirls in anime?

3 Likes

Yo I loved Fruits Basket! It was like one of my first anime lol.

2 Likes

I believe No. 6, Tokyo Babylon, and What Did You Eat Yesterday are all considered BL! I’ll google the one you recommended! Haven’t heard of it.

1 Like

I haven’t seen Fruits Basket but it’s on my to-watch list because it’s one of my best friend’s favorites. She even named her cat Kyo as a child!

I FEEL POORLY. There is a … huge problem with sexualization of schoolgirls (and women in general) in many, many anime. It’s definitely a hard limit when it comes to what I choose to watch and read. Actually, that’s a big reason I quickly dropped Devilman Crybaby.

2 Likes

So this isn’t an lgbtq+ but have you ever seen Oran Host Club. It was my jam when I was like 10 lol

1 Like

I haven’t read it in more than a decade so I forgot the plot. :sweat_smile:

I don’t watch anime, but from what I’ve seen, it mimics Japanese culture and I can say stuff about hentai because I am part Japanese. These eyes can prove it! It is incredibly disturbing to see big tittied Japanese schoolgirls because that’s just unrealistic and hella creepy. I DON’T EVEN WANT TO KNOW WHAT THAT IS FROM THE TITLE ALONE.

2 Likes

Yeah Devilman Crybaby is definitely weird/creepy. At least it’s not Berserk lol

2 Likes

I’ve seen Ouran! I also watched it when I was young. It’s pretty strange to think about, looking back! Ouran is problematic to say the least, but it’s funny how I found many parts oddly relatable as a young teen, before I understood that I was queer and trans. While it’s not something I’d necessarily recommend to people, it definitely has a special place in my memory!

2 Likes

You’re so right!! It really is creepy.

2 Likes

I’ve never seen Berserk! I don’t exactly mind weird stuff, like Dorohedoro is pretty bizarre but a current favorite of mine. I think what really turned me off from Devilman was the sexualization of minors + heavy focus on bad aspects of humanity. Based on the episodes I watched, I feel like they took “creepy” and ran with it in a gross direction.

2 Likes

Where can I watch these animes for free?

2 Likes

Yeah Devilman isn’t fo everyone. Berserk is better but also worse. It’s a lot more gore and horror. There’s odd stuff like naked pixies and and screaming fruit and uh… let’s just say a demon horse wants to have “a fun time” with a woman who’s not exactly keen on the idea. Lots of blood and demons and swords that size of a dude. But hey that’s 90s anime or ya.

1 Like

You can download Crunchyroll for free. It’s a totally free streaming app for anime. As long as you don’t mind ads.

2 Likes

Depends which one you’re going for! There’s Crunchyroll like Jason suggested. Netflix (if you have it) has a small selection. There are tons of random sites that can come in handy.

2 Likes

Ha, yeah, sounds like 90’s anime! Maybe I’ll give an episode a watch someday when I have the time.

1 Like

It’s more of a graphic novel than a manga but there’s a great one called My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness which I really recommend - it’s semi-autobiographical and it looks at the protagonist dealing with her mental health as well as coming to terms with her sexuality

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! It’s actually been in my library “to-read” list for quite some time now. I’ll check it out once my library reopens!

3 Likes

Hey there! Have you tried reading/watching Banana Fish, Gravitation, Given, and Yuri On Ice?

They have strong BL themes but I don’t think they’re classified as Yaoi, (except for Given, I guess).

I hope you have fun!

4 Likes